The information requested is shown in the table below:
Number of initial Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) claims where the assessment was completed by length of assessment period and month completed, England, Apr 13 - Mar 14
Length of assessment period
91 days and under
Over 91 days
Source: Department for Work and Pensions benefit administration dataset.
- Figures are rounded to the nearest 100. Totals may not sum due to rounding.
- The period cohorts allocate ESA claims to the calendar month that the assessment was completed. March 2014 is the latest data available.
- Those still waiting for an assessment to be completed are not included in the figures above.
- In approximately of 10% of claims the length of the assessment period is unknown due to missing or incomplete information.
- The data presented above comes from benefit claims data held by the Department for Work and Pensions. It related to new ESA claims only; Incapacity Benefit (IB) claims reassessments are not included.
- As the Official Statistics on ESA and the Work Capability Assessments do not focus on benefit durations, the underlying data used to provide the information has not been quality assured to the same level, and should be treated with caution.