Access to Work Programme

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 28th November 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Helen Goodman Helen Goodman Shadow Minister (Culture, Media and Sport)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether an Access to Work claimant has to be paying class 2 national insurance contributions in order to qualify for the scheme as a self-employed person.

Photo of Mark Harper Mark Harper Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions) (Disabled People)

In order to be eligible for funding through the Access to Work programme customers must satisfy certain eligibility criteria. One of these criteria is that they are employed or self employed. For Access to Work purposes, self-employment is defined as:

• operating a business either alone or in partnership, or working for an employer on a self-employed contractual basis;

• operating a franchised business on a self-employed basis;

• paying Class II or class IV National Insurance contributions.

• If the applicant is over retirement age (and therefore no longer liable to pay National Insurance) AtW staff will seek to determine that the person is self-employed by requesting a business plan approved by a bank or other financial authority.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.