Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Central African Republic

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 3rd November 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Naomi Long Naomi Long Alliance, Belfast East

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what steps his Department is taking in collaboration with Deputy Special Representative of MINUSCA, Diane Corner, to ensure that a comprehensive and inclusive disarmament, demobilisation and reintegration process is planned and prioritised in the Central African Republic.

Photo of Tobias Ellwood Tobias Ellwood The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs

MINUSCA (United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic) assumed responsibility from the AU Mission, MISCA (African-led support mission to the Central African Republic) on 15 September. The mission’s mandate includes a call for “support for the disarmament, demobilization and reintegration of former armed elements, with specific attention to children, and the repatriation of foreign elements, as well as community violence-reduction programmes”. Foreign and Commonwealth Office officials are monitoring MINUSCA’s progress on all areas of the mandate as the mission works to build up to full capacity; and are in close contact with Diane Corner (Deputy SRSG)on this. We have encouraged the UN to prioritise their efforts given the Mission is in early stages, and the operational challenges due to the surge in violence in CAR in recent weeks. Ensuring security is an essential first step in bringing peace and stability to CAR. MINUSCA has a phased mandate, with its priority task being the protection of civilians; HMG supports this approach.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.