Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Social Security Benefits

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 3rd November 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cunningham Jim Cunningham Labour, Coventry South

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what proportion of households claiming (a) jobseeker's allowance, (b) universal credit, (c) income support, (d) the work-related activity group component of employment and support allowance and (e) local housing allowance rates in housing benefit are (i) in work and (ii) have dependent children.

Photo of Esther McVey Esther McVey Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions)

Information on the number of local housing allowance awards each month is published at:

Guidance on how to extract the information required can be found at:

The requested information for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) and Income Support (IS) taken from the Family Resources Survey (FRS) is shown below:

Of households where at least one member receives Jobseeker's Allowance:

proportion where at least one adult is in work:


proportion with at least one dependent child:


Of households where at least one member receives Income Support:

proportion where at least one adult is in work:


proportion with at least one dependent child:


Source: Family Resources Survey 2012/13


1. The Family Resources Survey (FRS) is a nationally representative sample of UK households.

2. The figures from the Family Resources Survey are based on a sample of households which have been adjusted for non-response using multi-purpose grossing factors which align the Family Resources Survey to former Government Office Region population by age and sex. Estimates are subject to sampling error and remaining non-response error.

3. Percentages have been rounded to the nearest 1 per cent.

4. Relative to administrative records, the FRS is known to under-report benefit receipt. For more details please see the Methodology chapter of the FRS publication:

5. A dependant child is an individual aged under 16, or aged 16-19 and: not married, in a civil partnership, or living with a partner; and living with parents or another responsible adult; and in full-time non-advanced education or in unwaged government training.

6. A household is in work if at least one member who is not a dependant child is employed or self-employed, either full- or part-time using the International Labour Organisation definitions.

The information requested for the work related activity group of ESA is not readily available and could only be provided at disproportionate cost.

The department publishes a wide range of statistics relating to children in workless households, by benefit, which includes those receiving Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) with child dependants (Table 4). This information links our data with that for Child Benefit HMRC data and is available at:

Background guidance on the use and interpretation of the figures is available at:

The information requested on Universal Credit is not currently available.

The Department published its strategy for releasing Official Statistics on Universal Credit in September 2013. These statistics will be published in accordance with the relevant protocols in the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. As outlined in the strategy officials are currently quality assuring data for Universal Credit therefore it is not yet possible to give a definitive list of what statistics will be provided in the future.

The Department will however be publishing statistics on the proportion of people claiming Universal Credit who are in work on the 12 November 2014.

Universal Credit statistics and the Department’s release strategy can be found at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.