Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Jobseeker's Allowance

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 3rd November 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Laurence Robertson Laurence Robertson Chair, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, pursuant to the Answer of 28 October 2014 to Question 211684, whether the planned exemption from the three month residency test for people claiming jobseeker's allowance will apply to the family members of people posted abroad while serving in the armed forces.

Photo of Esther McVey Esther McVey Minister of State (Department for Work and Pensions)

Currently, family members of HM forces, Crown servants and other types of posted worker are required to satisfy the three month residence requirement before they can claim Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) unless they personally fall within the scope of the exemption, for example, by having paid Class 1 or Class 2 National Insurance Contributions. Partners of members of the armed forces are however credited with UK National Insurance contributions and can also benefit from an easement to the first contribution condition for contributory JSA or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). This can help secure an entitlement to these benefits should either be required upon any return to the UK.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.