Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Pupils: Disadvantaged

Department for Education written question – answered on 3rd November 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alex Cunningham Alex Cunningham Labour, Stockton North

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, if she will extend the Pupil Premium to children who are educated at home and have (a) foetal alcohol spectrum disorder and (b) other special needs.

Photo of David Laws David Laws The Minister of State, Cabinet Office, The Minister for Schools

There are no plans to extend the Pupil Premium to children who are educated at home, or to children with either foetal alcohol spectrum disorder or other special needs. The aim of the Pupil Premium is to help schools close the attainment gap, with funding focused on those children who have been on free school meals at some point in the last six years.

The Government respects the right of parents to choose how their children are educated, whether this is at home or in any of the institutions available to them. However, parents who choose to home educate their children must take responsibility for the costs.

Local authorities have the power to choose to give assistance to parents who home school. This can include providing support to children with special educational needs, whether or not they have a statement or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. The 0-25 SEND Code of Practice makes it clear that local authorities should work with parents and consider whether to provide support in the home to help the parents make suitable provision. Where an authority draws up a statement or EHC plan which ‘names’ home education as the right provision for the child then they must make any additional special educational provision set out by the statement or plan.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.