We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Broadcasting: Radio Frequencies

Department for Culture Media and Sport written question – answered on 28th October 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Peter Luff Peter Luff Conservative, Mid Worcestershire

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, pursuant to the Answer of 9 September 2014 to Question 206821, what assessment his Department has made of the risk of PMSE market failure if PMSE users are not allocated alternative spectrum in which to operate before the 799 MHz band is cleared; what discussions his Department has had with Ofcom regarding mitigating that risk; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Ed Vaizey Ed Vaizey Minister of State for Culture and the Digital Economy (Jointly with Department for Business, Innovation and Skills), Minister of State for Culture and the Digital Economy (Jointly with Department for Culture Media and Sport)

In its consultation on the future of the 700MHz band, Ofcom highlights the important benefits that PMSE delivers to the UK. Ofcom sets out a clear objective, in case of a change of use of those frequencies away from existing services including PMSE, to continue to secure those important benefits. Its plan to achieve this includes improving the way current use takes place as well as securing access to alternative frequencies and Ofcom is working closely with stakeholders through its regular engagement with the British Entertainment Industry Radio Group.

I welcome Ofcom’s recognition of the significant value that PMSE delivers and we fully support their work on mitigating the effect of loss of access to the 700MHz band. This is an integral part of any change to the 700 MHz band and the DCMS will continue to monitor Ofcom’s work in this.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.