Islamic State

Home Office written question – answered on 17th September 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Sylvia Hermon Sylvia Hermon Independent, North Down

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what steps her Department is taking with regards to supporters of Islamic State in the UK; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of James Brokenshire James Brokenshire Minister of State (Home Office) (Security and Immigration)

As the Prime Minister made clear in his statement on 1 September, Official Report, Column 23, the Government has ‘taken a wide range of measures, including stopping suspects from travelling to the region by seizing passports, barring foreign nationals from re-entering the United Kingdom, legislating so that we can prosecute people for terrorist activity, even where that activity takes place overseas, and bringing forward emergency legislation, for instance to safeguard our use of communications data.’

He also announced that the Government will bring forward legislation to strengthen powers in specific areas, including disrupting suspects from travelling and dealing decisively with those

already here who pose a risk. Details of that legislation will be brought forward at the earliest opportunity.

A wide range of offences already exists on the statute books, including in the Terrorism Acts 2000 and 2006, under which individuals can be prosecuted if there is evidence they have

committed terrorism offences by supporting ISIL. In particular, where there is evidence that individuals are planning, promoting, funding, facilitating or participating in terrorist activities the police and Crown Prosecution Service will seek to prosecute them. Each case is considered individually. If the police refer a case to the Crown Prosecution Service, they consider whether there is sufficient evidence of any offence, and if so, whether it is in the public interest to prosecute.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.