Disability Aids

House of Lords written question – answered on 29th July 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Hunt of Kings Heath Lord Hunt of Kings Heath Shadow Spokesperson (Health), Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Lords

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what measures they are taking to ensure that there is equality of access to disability assistive technology systems in different parts of the country.

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what measures are they taking to ensure that people with disabilities are receiving the best assistive technology for their needs and requirements.

Photo of Earl Howe Earl Howe The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

NHS England is responsible for the oversight of commissioning of Assistive Technology by the National Health Service.

NHS England advises that it is committed to improving and assuring the continued development of assistive technology through the publication and monitoring against national service specifications. It recognises the potential of assistive technologies to improve health outcomes, empower patients to self-manage their conditions, and provide care that is convenient, accessible and cost-effective. The Technology Enabled Care Services (TECS) programme at NHS England aims to improve the lives of people with long-term conditions through the use of technologies such as telehealth, telecare, telemonitoring, telecoaching and self-care apps. The ambition is to create the right commissioning environment that supports and encourages the innovative use of technology to improve health outcomes and deliver more cost effective services.

NHS England has also identified an additional £22.5 million funding for Augmentative and Alternative Communication and Environmental Controls in 2014-15. It is currently engaged with clinicians and service providers to ensure equitable and timely access to these services for the population of England.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.