Defence written question – answered on 23rd June 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Maria Eagle Maria Eagle Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, how much his Department spent on ministerial travel by (a) Government Car Service, (b) private hire vehicles, (c) taxis, (d) rail, (e) aviation and (f) other means in each year of the current parliament.

Photo of Mark Francois Mark Francois The Minister of State, Ministry of Defence

I apologise for the length of time it has taken to provide the hon. Member with a response to her question. I will write to the hon. Member with the information requested shortly.

Substantive answer from Anna Soubry to Maria Eagle:

My predecessor undertook to write to you in response to your Parliamentary Question of 5 September 2013, Hansard, column 490W, about the cost of ministerial travel in the Ministry of Defence (MOD) in each year of the current Parliament. The information requested is presented in the following table. I am sorry for the delay in replying.

Financial year (a) Government Car Service1 (b) Private hire vehicles (c) Taxis (d) Rail2 (e) Aviation3 (f) Other: MOD pool vehicles1
2010-11 39,419 0 147 5,095 120,843 131,622
2011-12 0 0 232 4,249 164,281 127,160
2012-13 0 0 0 3,149 122,223 99,928
1 Road transport for the Secretary of State for Defence, my right hon. Friend the Member for Runnymede and Weybridge (Mr Hammond) is normally provided by the Metropolitan police. The Junior Defence Ministers have, in accordance with the Ministerial Code, given up their cars with a dedicated driver to reduce costs and now share central MOD pool vehicles with senior staff working in the MOD Main Building. The costs quoted represent a notional estimate of the use the Junior Defence Ministers have made of the shared vehicles. 2 Includes Eurostar. 3 Includes both international and domestic flights and some notional costs of travel in RAF aircraft, where available.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.