Alcoholic Drinks and Drugs: Rehabilitation

Health written question – answered on 25th March 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Diana R. Johnson Diana R. Johnson Shadow Minister (Home Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what information Public Health England collects from health and well-being boards about their current and future spending on drugs and alcohol treatment services.

Photo of Jane Ellison Jane Ellison The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

Local authorities (LAs) are required to report to Public Health England (PHE) and national Government on their actual spend on interventions for adult drugs, adult alcohol and young people’s substance misuse from their public health grant allocations on an annual basis.

Drug treatment continues to be a key priority for the Government. In a letter announcing the 2013-14 and 2014-15 public health ring-fenced grants, the Secretary of State for Health, my right hon. Friend Mr Hunt, and PHE’s chief executive, Duncan Selbie, highlighted substance misuse as one of the key non-mandated services and described the major opportunity for LAs to work in partnership with the voluntary sector, police and crime commissioners and the private sector to deliver these critical services resulting in better outcomes for local populations.

On 28 February 2014, PHE in conjunction with the Association of Directors of Public Health, announced a one-off review of LAs in England to ascertain their commissioning intentions for improving prevention programmes and rates of drug and alcohol recovery. This will describe the approaches undertaken by LAs and provide evidence to inform Government policy.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.