Average Earnings: Clwyd

Cabinet Office written question – answered on 20th March 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Ruane Chris Ruane Labour, Vale of Clwyd

To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office what change there has been in median gross weekly earnings for (a) men and (b) women in Vale of Clwyd constituency since 2010.

Photo of Nick Hurd Nick Hurd The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office, The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office

The information requested falls within the responsibility of the UK Statistics Authority. I have asked the authority to reply.

Letter from Glen Watson, dated March 2014

As Director General for the Office for National Statistics, I have been asked to reply to your recent Parliamentary Question asking the Minister for the Cabinet Office, what change there has been in median gross weekly earnings for (a) men and (b) women in Vale of Clwyd constituency since 2010. (192077).

The Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE), carried out in April each year, is the most comprehensive source of earnings information in the United Kingdom. Weekly levels of earnings are estimated from ASHE, and are provided for employees on adult rates of pay, whose earnings for the survey pay period were not affected by absence. Figures relate to employee jobs, which are defined as those held by employees and not the self-employed.

The following table shows estimates of median gross weekly earnings for employees in Vale of Clwyd constituency from 2010 to 2013, the latest period for which results are available. Figures are provided for male employees and female employees.

In order to account for a discontinuity in the series in 2011, percentage changes between 2010 and 2013 were calculated by compounding growth rates between individual years. Consequently, the percentage changes shown in the table do not correspond precisely to the actual percentage differences between the 2010 and 2013 earnings estimates.

Median gross weekly earnings for employees1 in Vale of Clwyd constituency between April 2010 and April 2013
Year (April) Male Female
2010 **427.2 **306.9
20112, 4 **436.1 *361.2
20113, 4 **426.1 *359.7
2012 **448.0 **330.9
2013 **476.7 **371.8
     
Percentage change    
2010 to 20135 14.2 21.7
1 Employee jobs are defined as those held by employees and not the self-employed. Figures relate to employees on adult rates whose pay for the survey pay-period was not affected by absence. ASHE Is based on a 1 per cent sample of jobs taken from HM Revenue and Customs’ Pay As You Earn (PAYE) records. Consequently, individuals with more than one job may appear in the sample more than once. 2 2011 results based on Standard Occupational Classification 2000. 3 2011 results based on Standard Occupational Classification 2010. 4 Estimates for years prior to 2011 are based on SOC 2000 and estimates for years after 2011 are based on SOC 2010. Figures are only considered to be directly comparable If they are based on the same SOC. 5 In order to account for the series discontinuity, percentage changes between 2010 and 2013 were calculated by compounding growth rates between individual years. Consequently, the percentage changes shown in the table do not correspond precisely to the actual percentage differences between 1he 2010 and 2013 earnings estimates. Guide to Quality: The Coefficient of Variation (CV) indicates the quality of a figure; the smaller the CV value, the higher the quality. The true value is likely to lie within +/- twice the CV—for example, for an average of 200 with a CV of 5% ,we would expect the population total to be within the range 180-220. Key: * CV >5% and = 10% ** CV > 10% and = 20% CV = Coefficient of Variation Source: Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE), Office for National Statistics.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.