To ask the Secretary of State for Justice
(1) when the contract for construction of the new prison in Wrexham will be signed;
(2) when construction will (a) begin and (b) be completed on the new prison in Wrexham;
(3) when his Department plans to make a decision on who will run the new prison in Wrexham;
(4) what estimate he has made of spending on construction of the new prison in Wrexham in (a) 2013-14, (b) 2014-15, (c) 2015-16, (d) 2016-17 and (e) 2017-18;
(5) what estimate he has made of the total cost to the public purse of constructing the new prison in Wrexham; and what estimate he has made of the amount that will come from (a) his Department's budgets and (b) other Government budgets.
The Ministry of Justice plans to appoint a prime contractor to build the prison in spring 2014 with work on site beginning in summer 2014. The prison is expected to be fully operational by late 2017.
The new prison will cost around £250 million to construct and will be Ministry of Justice funded. However, the Ministry of Justice is still in the procurement phase and therefore estimates of spending in each of the financial years are commercially sensitive.
The Ministry of Justice is considering a full range of options relating to the operation of the new prison.