High Speed 2 Railway Line

Transport written question – answered on 14th January 2014.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrea Leadsom Andrea Leadsom Conservative, South Northamptonshire

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what steps he is taking to ensure that those affected by High Speed 2 have enough information to respond to the environmental statement consultation.

Photo of Robert Goodwill Robert Goodwill Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport)

Every effort has been made to ensure that the environmental statement (ES) is accessible to interested parties. That is why the ES includes a non-technical summary and the area reports and map books in volume 2 are split up into 26 community forum areas (CFAs) so people can easily find the information relevant to their local area. The document is also fully searchable.

A guide outlining the structure of the environmental statement is available which should help people identify which sections of the ES to read. It can be found on the HS2 Ltd and gov.uk website at the following link:


In addition to ensuring that the documents are appropriately structured for easy navigation, every effort has also been made to ensure that the ES is available to interested parties. That is why, as well as being available online, the ES documents are also publically accessible at 31 local authority locations, 80 parish councils and 56 public libraries across the line of route for phase 1. Information about these locations is available on the HS2 Ltd website at the following link:


Members of the public are also entitled to one free hard copy of both the non-technical summary and volume 1 of the ES as well as a copy of one CFA report and map book. Those who wish to receive hard copies of any of the other documents that comprise the ES can order them from the HS2 Ltd website for a small fee.

If any further questions on the ES arise, individuals can contact the HS2 Ltd public inquiries line on:


020 7944 4908

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.