Medical Records: Databases

Health written question – answered on 21st October 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jamie Reed Jamie Reed Shadow Minister (Health)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health

(1) whether people will be able to opt-out of the scheme using the internet or telephone;

(2) whether every household will receive an opt-out form along with information about

Photo of Debbie Abrahams Debbie Abrahams Labour, Oldham East and Saddleworth

To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether the care data system will extract the records of people who have received treatment for a sexually-transmitted disease.

Photo of Daniel Poulter Daniel Poulter The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

General practitioners (GPs), as data controllers, are advised to agree at a local level, the best way to manage the objection process and how their patients might contact the practice should they wish to object or discuss data sharing. This might be for example, via e-mail, letter or phone to GP practice staff.

It is the role of the NHS England awareness programme to present the facts in a fair and balanced way to enable citizens to make an informed choice or to seek further information or clarification if they wish to through the various communication channels suggested.

Citizens and patients are being presented with information about how their information is used and shared and the benefits to improve care for all, as well as how to object to this sharing of data if they wish to do so. NHS England makes reference to this in their guidance to GP practices and in their communications to citizens. The computer code to stop information flowing if the patient is not happy is an objection code which will be upheld in all but exceptional circumstances (such as a court order).

The system will not extract this type of data related to the treatment for a sexually-transmitted disease. This data is legally restricted and is excluded from the collection.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.