Universal Credit

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 13th September 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stephen Timms Stephen Timms Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions whether he proposes that recipients of universal credit, who already have rent arrears when they claim, will be moved onto direct payment.

Photo of Steve Webb Steve Webb The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

It will depend on the claimant's circumstances. All new claims will be looked at on an individual basis to establish whether the claimant is in a position to manage his or her own affairs. Managed payments of rent will only be considered for those claimants who cannot genuinely manage the standard monthly payment and as a result there is a risk to the household's accommodation.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.