Arms Trade: Trade Fairs

Business, Innovation and Skills written question – answered on 13th September 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Caroline Lucas Caroline Lucas Green, Brighton, Pavilion

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills if he will make an assessment of the compliance of the items being promoted at the Defence Security Equipment International (DSEI) arms fair by (a) Magforce International and (b) MyWay International Trading Co. with the UK's Export Control Order 2008; if he will make it his policy to withdraw his Department's support for the DSEI arms fair; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Michael Fallon Michael Fallon The Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills , Minister of State, Department of Energy and Climate Change

Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEI) is a commercial event organised by the company Clarion Events. The Export Control Organisation within BIS has set in place a Memorandum of Understanding with Clarion which sets out their role and responsibilities, and those of the exhibitor companies, in respect of export control legislation. BIS officials, alongside counterparts from other Government Departments, are working very closely with Clarion to ensure that the exhibitors comply as necessary with export control legislation.

On 11 September Clarion found literature in alleged breach of UK export controls on the exhibition stands of Tianjin Myway International Trading Co. and Magforce International. Clarion took swift action to eject these companies from DSEI. The literature in question has been confiscated and passed to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.

There are no plans to withdraw Government support for this exhibition which is provided by UKTI Defence and Security Organisation in their role of working with UK industry to support legitimate defence and security exports by UK companies.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes3 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.