We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Children: Maintenance

Defence written question – answered on 11th September 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gordon Banks Gordon Banks Shadow Minister (Scotland)

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what assessment he has made of the effects of overseas postings on the parenting responsibilities and liabilities for Child Support Agency payments of absent parents in the armed forces.

Photo of Andrew Murrison Andrew Murrison The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to facilitate the direct deduction of child maintenance payments from pay of non-resident parents who are service personnel.

Where a parent asks the Child Support Agency (CSA) to help to obtain appropriate child support from a non-resident parent who is a service person, the MOD will assist the CSA in engaging with that service person. The MOD will implement any deduction from earnings request submitted by the CSA.

The only exception is when the service person is in an operational zone. Under the terms of the MOU, if a service person is committed to operations the commanding officer may delay any engagement with the CSA until such time as the non-resident parent is in a position to consider any papers that the CSA may send them and respond appropriately.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.