Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Child Benefit

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 10th September 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Henry Smith Henry Smith Conservative, Crawley

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what alternative support is available to families when young people undertaking apprenticeships no longer qualify for child benefit.

Photo of Mark Hoban Mark Hoban The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

We do not provide an alternative to child benefit when a family no longer qualifies for it. Apprentices aged under 19 are paid at least £2.65 per hour (increasing to £2.68 per hour on 1 October). Depending on their income, families may qualify for additional support such as housing benefit or working tax credit. The young adult may qualify for benefits or additional support in their own right, depending on their circumstances.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.