Motor Vehicles

Transport written question – answered on 9th September 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cunningham Jim Cunningham Labour, Coventry South

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how the Government is able to calculate when a foreign vehicle is liable to begin paying road tax.

Photo of Stephen Hammond Stephen Hammond The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport

A keeper of a foreign registered vehicle is liable to pay vehicle excise duty once it has been in the UK for more than six months in any 12-month period. During any investigation it is for the keeper of the vehicle to prove that the vehicle has been in the UK for less than six months.

Vehicles that over-stay the exemption and do not register and pay vehicle excise duty can be subject to enforcement action which can include wheel-clamping, impounding and disposal.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.