Motor Vehicles

Transport written question – answered on 9th September 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Cunningham Jim Cunningham Labour, Coventry South

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what his policy is on the road tax payable by foreign vehicles; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Stephen Hammond Stephen Hammond The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport

International arrangements allow foreign registered vehicles to circulate for six months without having to register or pay vehicle excise duty providing they are correctly registered and licensed in their 'home' country. Once a foreign registered vehicle has been in the UK for more than six months in any 12 month period, the keeper must register it and pay vehicle excise duty.

The Government is introducing a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) road user levy from 1 April 2014 payable by all HGVs using the UK road network weighing 12 tonnes or more. This will include foreign registered HGVs, which will be liable for the levy immediately upon entry to the UK and when using the UK road network.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.