Overseas Companies: China

Business, Innovation and Skills written question – answered on 6th September 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Catherine McKinnell Catherine McKinnell Shadow Minister (Treasury)

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills what recent assessment he has made of the risks to British businesses operating in China; and what support his Department provides to assist such businesses in operating in that country without contravening the provisions of the Bribery Act 2010.

Photo of Michael Fallon Michael Fallon The Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills , Minister of State, Department of Energy and Climate Change

Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and UK Trade & Investment (UKTI), both in the UK and abroad, frequently advise companies on the specific risks of operating in overseas markets, including in China. Information can be found on the Overseas Business Risk section of the UKTI website

http://www.ukti.gov.uk/pt_pt/export/howwehelp/overseasbusinessrisk.html?null including a section dedicated to risks around bribery and corruption

http://www.ukti.gov.uk/pt_pt/export/howwehelp/overseasbusinessrisk/briberycorruption.html?null as well as country-specific risks in China


Additionally, as part of the FCO Charter for Business, FCO also regularly shares its political, economic and security analysis in written and oral briefings for UK business and publishes this analysis on the UKTI website to help companies understand and manage new and emerging risks in those markets.

On the specific question of the Bribery Act, the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) is a sponsor of the Business Anti-Corruption Portal. It is a comprehensive and practical business tool offering support to business to help them avoid and fight corruption. The portal is found at


It contains a number of country profiles, including China.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.