We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Personal Independence Payment

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 18th July 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Caroline Lucas Caroline Lucas Green, Brighton, Pavilion

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions whether (a) multiple sclerosis nurse specialists and (b) other nurse specialists will (i) complete factual report forms in relation to personal independence payments and (ii) be paid to do so; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Esther McVey Esther McVey The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

The health professionals conducting personal independence payment assessments will consider each case individually and decide whether further evidence would help inform their advice to DWP. Where they decide to gather further evidence, they will issue a factual report form to the relevant professional.

We recognise that disabled people are experts in their own lives and information provided by them will play an important part of the process. The individual is asked which professionals are best placed to provide supporting evidence on their claim. We expect evidence to come from a variety of sources, including GPs, hospital consultants, social workers and, where relevant, specialist nurses. If it is appropriate to do so, health professionals may request evidence from a multiple sclerosis nurse specialist.

The Department pays GPs for completed factual report forms. Other professionals do not receive a fee.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.