We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Child Benefit: EU Nationals

Treasury written question – answered on 18th July 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Robert Smith Robert Smith Liberal Democrat, West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what evidence nationals of other EEA states are required to show in order to demonstrate proof of entitlement to child benefit in respect of a child resident (a) in the UK and (b) in another EEA member state; and in respect of what proportion of such applications such proof was requested in the last financial year.

Photo of Sajid Javid Sajid Javid The Economic Secretary to the Treasury

An EEA national is required to provide evidence that they have been allocated, or applied for, a national insurance number. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) use this to carry out a variety of checks including whether they have a right to reside. If the child being claimed for is living in the UK they are required to provide the child's birth certificate and one other form of evidence of birth—this usually being the child's passport. If the child they are responsible for is resident in another EEA country, as well as providing a birth certificate, checks are carried out with the family benefits authorities in the child's country of residence to confirm the composition of the family and whether family benefits are in payment there.

All claims falling into the above categories are subject to these checks.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.