We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Financial Services: Education

Education written question – answered on 18th July 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alex Cunningham Alex Cunningham Labour, Stockton North

To ask the Secretary of State for Education

(1) what steps his Department is taking to signpost teachers to existing resources, advice and support available for delivering financial education in the curriculum;

(2) how his Department is working with (a) subject experts, (b) educationalists and (c) providers of initial teacher training on the inclusion of financial capability components within the new curriculum;

(3) what training is currently available for teachers to prepare them for the introduction of financial education into the curriculum; and what new additional training in this area is planned.

Photo of Elizabeth Truss Elizabeth Truss The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

As a general principle, schools themselves are best placed to decide what support they will need to support their staff to teach the new national curriculum. As part of the consultation, however, we asked specifically for views on who was best placed to develop resources to support schools to teach it successfully. Responses and suggestions from financial education experts, including on how the Department might assist by signposting existing resources, are currently being considered. We will provide further information in due course.

The Government do not prescribe the content of initial teacher training courses. Providers must ensure that their programmes enable all trainees to demonstrate that they meet the Teachers' Standards. This includes preparing trainees for teaching new or revised aspects of the national curriculum, such as financial education.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.