We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Child Benefit

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 18th July 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mark Pritchard Mark Pritchard Conservative, The Wrekin

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what steps his Department is taking to reduce the number of people claiming child benefit for children living outside the UK; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Sajid Javid Sajid Javid The Economic Secretary to the Treasury

I have been asked to reply on behalf of the Treasury.

European economic area nationals with a right to reside in the UK are entitled under European law to claim child benefit in respect of their dependent children resident outside the UK.

These rules also apply to UK nationals living elsewhere in the EEA claiming that country's equivalent of child benefit for their children resident in the UK.

The Government is reviewing the rules for this issue in line with making sure that the UK has a fair and proportional welfare system.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.