We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Rented Housing: Electrical Safety

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 18th July 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Paul Burstow Paul Burstow Liberal Democrat, Sutton and Cheam

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what steps he is taking to review the current arrangements for electrical safety in the residential rental sector; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Don Foster Don Foster The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government

holding answer 15 July 2013

There is a statutory requirement on landlords to ensure that electrical installations in a building are kept safe and in good working order. Our publication ‘Top Tips for Landlords’(1) encourages landlords to consider having electrical installations and equipment checked. The Electrical Safety Council recommends that safety checks are carried out every five years.

Local authorities have powers under the Housing Act 2004 to investigate electrical hazards. Local authorities can also introduce a licensing scheme for private rented housing in their area under certain circumstances, Conditions can be attached to the licence specifying any requirements with which a landlord must comply. We will be working with local authorities over the summer to try and establish the extent to which licensing is used and the type of conditions that are typically attached to those licences.

(1)( )https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/top-tips-for-landlords-assured-shorthold-tenancies

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.