We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

British Overseas Territories

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 18th July 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Matthew Offord Matthew Offord Conservative, Hendon

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what steps his Department is taking to ensure that all Overseas Territories entrench the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals into their respective legislation.

Photo of Richard Benyon Richard Benyon The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

UK practice is that treaties are only extended to Overseas Territories if the territories request extension. Environment is an issue devolved to Territory Governments and it is for each Overseas Territory to decide how to deliver any obligations arising from Multilateral Environmental Agreements that have been extended to it.

If an Overseas Territory considers the Convention on Migratory Species to be of relevance, we will work with that Territory to extend the Convention to it.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.