Diplomatic Service

Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 11th July 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Margaret Curran Margaret Curran Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what information his Department holds on consular assistance provided by UK embassies or consulates to people resident at addresses in Scotland in each of the last five years; what the locations of the embassies or consulates offering assistance were; and what the reasons for assistance being offered were.

Photo of Mark Simmonds Mark Simmonds The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) records consular information on our "COMPASS" global assistance database. For those living in the UK this only records nationality as British. In some consular cases we may record where a British national or their family is resident in order to assist our handling. However we could only retrieve this information through a manual search of all assistance cases. Since the FCO helps on average 20,000 people each year this is not possible. Likewise we cannot gather the information requested about the location of the embassy or consulate, or the reason for assistance, without a similar manual search.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.