Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs written question – answered on 10th July 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Frank Roy Frank Roy Labour, Motherwell and Wishaw

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what positive results have resulted from the UK-China strategic dialogue in recent months.

Photo of Hugo Swire Hugo Swire The Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office

The last Strategic Dialogue, held in September 2011 with State Councillor Dai Bingguo, agreed three priority areas for international co-operation: climate change; development; and counter proliferation. We have achieved positive results in each of these areas.

In the area of climate change our projects are helping China reduce the energy intensity of its economy and encourage the transition to cleaner energy sources. A recent example of such a project has been our collaboration to help the Chinese Government develop a version of the UK 2050 Energy Pathways Calculator.

Development co-operation with China has been advanced by the Department for International Development's Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Chinese Government. The MoU has helped advance joint work in countries such as Uganda and Malawi, and sectors such as health, agriculture and disaster risk reduction.

On counter proliferation, China has agreed to host the next meeting of the P5 to discuss disarmament, and is leading development of the P5 glossary of key nuclear terms, which the P5 intend to submit to the 2015 NPT Review Conference. China played a constructive role during negotiation of the Arms Trade Treaty, and is now considering signing. FCO officials regularly discuss a range of other non-proliferation issues with Chinese counterparts.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.