Homelessness: Rough Sleepers

House of Lords written question – answered on 10th April 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Laird Lord Laird UUP

To ask Her Majesty's Government, further to the Written Answer by Baroness Hanham on 18 March (WA 106), in the light of the proportion of London rough sleepers who are European Union nationals, whether they will require, rather than expect, the Greater London Authority and other local authorities to have local reconnection protocols with the UK Border Authority effecting and paying for the administrative removal of destitute foreign nationals to European Union countries as a condition of receipt of the extra funding provided by the Department for Communities and Local Government to tackle homelessness; and whether they monitor the level of the present use of that option.

Photo of Baroness Hanham Baroness Hanham The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government

Under the spending review, we have provided £470 million to local authorities and the voluntary sector to tackle homelessness, including rough sleeping. This includes £34 million to the Greater London Authority, which funds a range of rough sleeping services across the capital.

Local authorities and the Greater London Authority already work closely with the Home Office to tackle rough sleeping by destitute EU nationals across London. Where destitute EU nationals refuse to voluntarily depart with the help of the local authority, the Home Office will deploy its administrative removal powers.

Comprehensive data on London's rough sleepers, including nationality information, is held under the Greater London Authority's CHAIN system. DCLG does not monitor voluntary departures of EU nationals aided by local authorities. The Home Office publishes data on the removal of EU nationals online: https://www.gov.uk/govemment/publications/data-tables-immigration-statistics-october-to-december-2012

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.