Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Social Services: Older People

Health written question – answered on 25th February 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Griffiths Andrew Griffiths Conservative, Burton

To ask the Secretary of State for Health how much has been spent annually on care for the elderly (a) resident in residential and nursing care, (b) receiving home care, (c) receiving day care, (d) receiving meals-on-wheels and (e) resident in reablement settings in each local authority in each year for which figures are available.

Photo of Norman Lamb Norman Lamb The Minister of State, Department of Health

The Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) does collect information on adult social care expenditure by local Councils with Adult Social Services Responsibilities (CASSRs) in England.

Data on local authority expenditure on state funded care are collected and published by the Health and Social Care Information Centre in two ways:

1. An annual national publication with council level support annexes.

2. The National Adult Social Care Intelligence Service (NASCIS) is a data repository of all adult social care information in England.

National spend of adult social care is reported as gross current expenditure, in line with reporting of national accounts.

CASSRs report expenditure to the HSCIC by service category and not spend on people.

A table showing the gross current expenditure for Councils in England with Adult Social Services Responsibilities on adults aged 65 or over as their primary client group between 2005-06 and 2011-12, and by select service categories:

(a) residential and nursing care

(b) home care

(c) day care

(d) meals has been placed in the Library.

The HSCIC collects data on reablement under the service category Home Care. However this information has data quality issues. Data are collected on a voluntary basis, and the majority of councils report reablement data as blank. Voluntary data are not validated and are not available on NASCIS. Gross current expenditure values are not produced when part of either expenditure or income data are missing.

The national expenditure report for adult social care in England can be accessed from:

Guidance on the way information is collected by the HSCIC relating to adult social care expenditure including definitions can be accessed from:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.