Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Alcoholic Drinks

Work and Pensions written question – answered on 25th February 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tracey Crouch Tracey Crouch Conservative, Chatham and Aylesford

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what estimate he has made of the level of alcohol-related absenteeism in his Department; whether his Department has an (a) internal alcohol policy and (b) occupational health strategy; and if he will publish such documents.

Photo of Mark Hoban Mark Hoban The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

DWP does not have a specific category for recording alcohol related absences so is unable to provide an estimate of alcohol-related absenteeism.

(a) DWP has an internal alcohol misuse policy. The policy provides for a wide range of support while ensuring that the standards of the Department are protected. The Department accepts that alcohol dependency is a condition requiring help and treatment. This means that it carries the same employment protection as any other illness.

(b) DWP has an Occupational Health Policy which is delivered by an external occupational health provider. The service provides advice on a wide range of health conditions to enable support in the workplace and this includes alcohol related problems. We also offer an Employee Assistance Programme delivered by an external provider that gives access to counselling for all employees.

These policies will be placed in the Library.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.