Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Alcoholic Drinks

Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 25th February 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tracey Crouch Tracey Crouch Conservative, Chatham and Aylesford

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what estimate he has made of the level of alcohol-related absenteeism in his Department; whether his Department has an (a) internal alcohol policy and (b) occupational health strategy; and if he will publish such documents.

Photo of Brandon Lewis Brandon Lewis The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Communities and Local Government

The Department for Communities and Local Government takes the health of its staff seriously. We have an internal alcohol policy and take a positive approach to the treatment of problems caused by alcohol abuse. Individuals are supported by their line manager to seek medical and counselling support and may be referred to our occupational health provider. Counselling is available through our Employee Assistance Provider.

Our sickness absence recording system does not enable us to identify cases of alcohol-related absenteeism. However, high levels of short-term absence are followed up by our Advisory team. The Advisory team would be made aware, by the line manager, of any alcohol abuse that had affected an individual's absence—or conduct or performance—at work.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.