Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Food: Waste

Transport written question – answered on 25th February 2013.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Luciana Berger Luciana Berger Shadow Minister (Energy and Climate Change)

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how much surplus food was thrown away by his Department in (a) 2010, (b) 2011 and (c) 2012.

Photo of Norman Baker Norman Baker The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport

Within the Department, on-site catering services are only available at the Department's main headquarters building in London, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) sites in Swansea and the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) residential training facility in Bedfordshire.

The requested information is not recorded at our London HQ and could be obtained only at disproportionate cost.

The DVLA's in-house catering providers are unable to provide statistics prior to June 2012. Since June 2012 approx 126 kg of food waste was generated weekly (6,552 kg extrapolated over the year). This is an overall food waste figure which includes plate scrapings, peelings, spoilage and “outer leaves”.

The Driving Standards Agency's catering contractor, Interserve (IFM), provide a restaurant service at the agency's training centre in Cardington.

The requested information is as follows:


Total covers: 22,060

Total food recycled: 6,640 kg (average 0.30kg per cover).


Total covers: 20,158

Total food recycled: 6,592 kg (average 0.33kg per cover).


Total covers: 20,024

Total food recycled: 4,935 kg (average 0.25kg per cover).

All food waste produced by the restaurant (consisting of peelings, scraps of raw ingredients, egg shells, leftovers and waste from plates etc.) is collected, weighed and recycled utilising an anaerobic digester. No food waste is thrown away.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.