Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Health Services: Overseas Visitors

Health written question – answered on 19th October 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Dan Byles Dan Byles Conservative, North Warwickshire

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what estimate he has made of the cost to the NHS of treating non-EU visitors that was not recovered in each of the last 10 years.

Photo of Anna Soubry Anna Soubry The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

The following table shows, for the years that are available, the total losses, bad debts and claims abandoned in relation to overseas visitors not entitled to free national health service hospital treatment that NHS trusts in England have recorded in their accounts. The chairman of Monitor has provided similar data for NHS foundation trusts, which are also in the table.

The data may relate to treatment provided to overseas visitors in earlier financial years. Furthermore, since overseas visitors can include United Kingdom and European Union nationals, the data will not relate exclusively to non-EU visitors. The Department does not hold information centrally about the nationality of patients treated by the NHS.

  Overseas visitors: losses, bad debts and claims abandoned
  NHS trusts NHS foundation trusts Total
2011-12 8,880,564 2,676,000 11,556,564
2010-11 6,773,733 7,182,000 13,955,733
2009-10 6,967,780 2,120,000 9,087,780
2008-09 5,204,856 3,269,000 8,473,856
2007-08 6,468,751 2,621,000 9,089,751
2006-07 5,046,763 5,046,763
2005-06 3,883,017 3,882,017
2004-05 2,369,650 2,369,650
2003-04 3,334,173 3,334,173
2002-03 2,109,000 2,109,000
Source: NHS trust audited summarisation schedules and NHS foundation trust consolidated accounts (data are not available from NHS foundation trusts prior to 2007-08).

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.