Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


House of Lords written question – answered on 15th October 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of The Countess of Mar The Countess of Mar Deputy Speaker (Lords)

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether claimants will have an automatic right to a copy of their assessment for employment support allowance, disability living allowance and the forthcoming personal independence payment at the time of the assessment; and if not, why not.

Photo of Lord Freud Lord Freud The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

Claimants can request a copy of any assessment reports provided to DWP following assessments in relation to employment and support allowance and disability living allowance. Requests can be made at any time and the responsibility for issuing reports lies with the department.

Assessments are, however, not provided at the time of the assessment itself. This is because decisions on benefit entitlement are not made by the health professional carrying out the assessment but by a departmental decision-maker. The assessment report only forms part of the evidence used by the decision-maker and providing it to the claimant in advance of the decision might be misleading.

We intend to follow an identical approach for personal independence payment, when it is introduced from 2013-14.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No5 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.