Higher Education: Bogus Colleges

House of Lords written question – answered on 18th July 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord King of West Bromwich Lord King of West Bromwich Labour

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether they provide any assistance to the students of bogus colleges which are closed down by the Government in finding alternative courses in other institutions.

Photo of Baroness Wilcox Baroness Wilcox The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills

I refer the noble Lord to my response to his previous question.

Privately-funded colleges, run as education businesses, are not required to register with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, neither are they required to be inspected by the Government's school and inspection body, Ofsted. BIS has no power to close them down although we are aware of a number that closed following changes to the UK Border Agency's tier 4 rules for recruiting international students.

However, BIS officials worked with the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) and the British Council to provide advice for students affected by college closures which UKCISA put on its website. UKCISA, the British Council and the British Accreditation Council also worked together to help such students find alternative courses.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes3 people think so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.