Armed Forces: Pay

Defence written question – answered on 4th July 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Simon Reevell Simon Reevell Conservative, Dewsbury

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence pursuant to the answer of 26 June 2012, Official Report, column 192W, on armed forces: pay, whether monies due to bereaved families are adjusted to claim back salaries automatically paid to service personnel in respect of the period after their death and before the month end.

Photo of Andrew Robathan Andrew Robathan The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence

We never ask families of those killed in service to pay money back. Our aim is to ensure families receive the right amount of money as quickly as possible and to conduct a reconciliation of their pay accounts as soon as all the information becomes available to us. We do not collect any money from the families of deceased service personnel, but we do adjust future payments to ensure families are paid all monies to which they are entitled.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.