To ask Her Majesty's Government how many national insurance numbers have been issued to (1) nationals from the 10 countries that most recently joined the European Union (EU) since their accession, and (2) other EU nationals and non-EU nationals in the same period.
In May 2004 the Republic of Estonia, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Hungary, Republic of Latvia, Republic of Lithuania, Poland, Republic of Slovenia (the accession eight countries (A8)), as well as Malta and Cyprus joined the European Union. They were followed in January 2007 by Bulgaria and Romania (the accession two countries (A2)). The table below provides NINo registration data for each of the categories requested from April 2004.
|NI No Registrations to Adult Overseas Nationals entering the UK (Thousands) : Time Series - Financial Year Of Registration Date by World Area of Origin and nationality within EU Accession countries.|
|2004-05||2005-06||2006-07||2007-08||2008-09||2009-10||2010-11||2011-12 (Not complete to Dec 2011)|
|EU Accession Countries Total||116,840||276,680||317,500||332,440||257,040||182,770||224,760||164,020|
|Rep of Estonia||1,700||3,020||2,050||1,380||1,700||1,830||2,390||1,690|
|Rep of Latvia||6,320||14,400||11,030||7,790||10,450||23,200||27,260||15,150|
|Rep of Lithuania||15,540||30,940||23,920||19,030||17,620||23,420||40,840||27,150|
|Rep of Slovenia||820||500||530||540||540||330||310||240|
|Non European Union||237,800||288,530||285,590||293,190||308,930||298,620||345,180||197,860|
Source:100% extract from National Insurance Recording and Pay As You Earn System
1. Figures are rounded to the nearest 10. Some additional disclosure control has been applied. Totals may not sum due to rounding method used. Data are cumulative from
2. Registration date is derived from the date at which a NINo is maintained on the National Insurance Recording and Pay As You Earn System.
3. Time Series-financial year of registration date years are financial based (1 Apr - 31 Mar).
4. World area of origin is based on a client's nationality.
5. Numbers of Bulgarian and Romanian NINo registrations (the A2 accession countries) are shown with the accession countries total for 2004-55 onwards.
6. The data are available on the department's website at: http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/index.php?page=tabtool.