Common Agricultural Policy

Environment Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 3rd July 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Priti Patel Priti Patel Conservative, Witham

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs how much the UK contributed to the common agricultural policy in the most recent month for which figures are available.

Photo of James Paice James Paice The Minister of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

The UK contributes to the EU Budget as a whole and not to individual spending programmes within it and there is not, therefore, a specific UK contribution to common agricultural policy expenditure. Details of the UK's contributions to the EU Budget for the period 2005-06 to 2010-11 are set out in Table 3B, page 16, of European Union Finances 2011 (Cm 8232).

£ million
  2005 Outturn 2006 Outturn 2007 Outturn 2008 Outturn 2009 Outturn 2010 Outturn 2011 Estimated outturn(2)
Gross payments 12,483 12,426 12,456 12,653 14,129 15,197 15,289
Less: UK Abatement -3,572 -3,569 -3,523 -4,862 -5,392 -3,047 -3,141
Less: Public sector receipts -5,329 -4,948 -4,332 -4,497 -4,401 -4,769 -4,776
Net contributions to EU Budget(3) 3,581 3,909 4,601 3,294 4,336 7,381 7,372
(1 )The figures for 2011 are forecasts; those for the earlier years are outturn. (2) Gross payment figures include TOR payments at 75%. The remaining 25% is retained by the UK to cover the costs of administering collection on behalf of the EU. (3) Due to rounding, totals may not exactly correspond to the sum of individual items. Source:HM Treasury

In 2005, expenditure on the CAP represented 46.2% of the EU budget. By 2011 this had declined to 43.7%.

Sources:

European Union Finances 2011:

http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm82/8232/8232.pdf

Financial Management in the European Union (2007):

http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc0607/hc04/0401/0401.asp

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.