Telephone Services

Transport written question – answered on 3rd July 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Graeme Morrice Graeme Morrice Labour, Livingston

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport how many private sector call centre staff were used by her Department and its agencies in each of the last three financial years; and at what cost to the public purse.

Photo of Norman Baker Norman Baker The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport

The Department for Transport and its seven Executive Agencies directly operate four public facing contact centres for motoring and highway services, an internal facing contact centre for its Shared Service functions, and two contracted out contact centres for the Driving Theory Test and the National Vehicle Recovery Centre.

The Highways Agency Contact Centre employed 6 temporary private sector staff for varying lengths of time between April 2009 and 25th June 2010 at a cost of £56,811 in financial year 2009-10 and £11,742 in financial year 2010-11.

The VOSA Contact Centre employed 53 temporary private sector staff over the last three financial years at a cost of £191,000 in financial year 2009-10, £321,000 in financial year 2010-11, and £184,000 in financial year 2011/12. These figures are estimates based on standard daily charges. To provide more precise figures would incur a disproportionate cost.

None of the Department's other directly operated contact centres employed any private sector staff during the previous three financial years.

Staff numbers and costs for the fully outsourced National Vehicle Recovery Centre contact centre are as follows:

Financial year Total (£) Staff (Full-time equivalent)
2011/12 892,672 35
2010/11 1,005,920 46
2009/10 1,341,768 51

Staff numbers and costs in the contact centre for the outsourced DSA Driving Theory Test service are not specified separately under the terms of the contract.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.