Further and Higher Education Act 1992

Education written question – answered at on 3 July 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Nicholas Dakin Nicholas Dakin Opposition Whip (Commons)

To ask the Secretary of State for Education whether section 33J of the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 is in force; and to which sixth form colleges that section applies.

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

holding answer 201211 June

I can confirm that section 33J of the Further and Higher Education Act 1992 is in force and applies to those colleges listed in the Specified Sixth Form College Corporation Order 2010 (SI 2010/625).

Section 33J provides that the governing body of those colleges must include persons appointed for the purpose of securing so far as practicable that the established character of the sixth form college is preserved and developed and, in particular, that the sixth form college is conducted in accordance with any trust deed relating to it.

The colleges given in the following list are currently covered by section 33J:

Aquinas College, Stockport

Cardinal Newman College, Preston

Carmel College, St Helens

Christ the King Sixth Form College, Lewisham

The College of Richard Collyer in Horsham

Holy Cross College, Bury

King Edward VI College, Nuneaton

King Edward VI College, Stourbridge

Loreto Sixth Form College, Manchester

Ludlow College, Shropshire

Notre Dame Sixth-Form College, Leeds

Palmer's College, Thurrock

Paston College, Norfolk

Peter Symonds College, Winchester

Prior Pursglove College, Guisborough

Sir John Deane's College, Cheshire

St Brendan's Sixth Form College, Bristol

St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College, Kensington

St Dominic's Catholic Sixth Form College, Harrow

St Francis Xavier Sixth Form College, London

St John Rigby Catholic Sixth Form College, Wigan

St Mary's College, Blackburn

Strode's College, Surrey

Xaverian College, Manchester.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.