Part-time Employment: Bexley

Cabinet Office written question – answered on 2nd July 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Evennett David Evennett Conservative, Bexleyheath and Crayford

To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office what proportion of people in Bexleyheath and Crayford are employed in part-time roles.

Photo of Nick Hurd Nick Hurd The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office, The Parliamentary Secretary, Cabinet Office

The information requested falls within the responsibility of the UK Statistics Authority. I have asked the authority to reply.

Letter from Stephen Penneck

As Director General for the Office for National Statistics, I have been asked to reply to your Parliamentary Question asking what proportion of people in Bexleyheath and Crayford are employed in part-time roles. (114531)

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) estimates employment statistics for local areas from the Annual Population Survey (APS).

Table 1 as follows shows the number and proportion of people aged 16 to 64 employed in part-time jobs resident in Bexleyheath and Crayford parliamentary constituency from APS for the 12 month period ending March 2012, the latest period for which figures are available.

As with any sample survey, estimates from APS are subject to a margin of uncertainty. A guide to the quality of the estimates is given in the table.

National and local area estimates for many labour market statistics, including employment, unemployment and claimant count are available on the NOMIS website at

Table 1 Number and proportion of part-time employment in Bexleyheath and Crayford parliamentary constituency
  Aged 16-64 (thousand) Part-time proportion (percentage)
  Total people Employed Part-time Of total people Of employed
April 2011-March 2012 **51 ***37 ***10 19.4 27.4
Note: Coefficients of Variation have been calculated as an indication of the quality of the estimates, as described below: Guide to Quality: The Coefficient of Variation (CV) indicates the quality of an estimate, the smaller the CV value the higher the quality. The true value is likely to lie within +/- twice the CV—for example, for an estimate of 200 with a CV of 5% we would expect the population total to be within the range 180-220. Key: * 0 ≤ CV<5%—Statistical Robustness: Estimates are considered precise ** 5 ≤ CV <10%—Statistical Robustness: Estimates are considered reasonably precise *** 10 ≤ CV <20%—Statistical Robustness: Estimates are considered acceptable **** CV ≥ 20%—Statistical Robustness: Estimates are considered too unreliable for practical purposes CV = Coefficient of Variation Source: Annual Population Survey

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.