Health written question – answered on 2nd July 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tony Cunningham Tony Cunningham Shadow Minister (International Development)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health with reference to the history of thalidomide and the pilot Health Grant scheme, what advance planning his Department is making for severely disabled people who may need to go into residential care homes at an earlier age than the general population; and what plans he has to (a) adapt accommodation for them to retain as much independence and dignity as possible, (b) provide staffing to care for additional needs and (c) enable them to stay in their already adapted home and buy in care.

Photo of Paul Burstow Paul Burstow The Minister of State, Department of Health

Each local authority is responsible for working with providers to ensure care and support is available to meet the needs of its local community. This includes arrangements for home care, necessary home adaptations to meet the person's assessed needs, having the appropriate levels of staffing and that staff have the right skills and training to ensure they provide appropriate care for severely disabled people.

However, the Department recognises the importance of the adult social care work force having the skills necessary to meet the needs of those who use care services and is working closely with Skills for Care, on strategic priorities linked to skills development and training, to ensure that staff are supported in exercising their roles.

The Government also recognised the pressures on the adult social care system, and took the decision to prioritise adult social care by allocating an additional £7.2 billion up to 2014-15.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.