We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Taxation: Tax Returns

House of Lords written question – answered on 28th June 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Higgins Lord Higgins Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government under what circumstances UK taxpayers are not allowed to submit their tax returns using HM Revenue and Customs' online service, but are required to submit a paper return.

Photo of Lord Sassoon Lord Sassoon The Commercial Secretary to the Treasury

The vast majority of self assessment (SA) taxpayers can file their SA tax return online by using the free HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) self assessment online service or commercial software. However, a small proportion of SA taxpayers are not able to file online, usually because they need to complete special dedicated pages.

A full list of these exclusions is available on the HMRC website at: www.hmrc.gov.uk/ebu/2012-exc-indi.pdf but include:

taxpayers whose particular circumstances mean that they need to complete special tax return pages which are not available online; andtaxpayers whose records are dealt with under separate arrangements where their tax reference number will not be recognised by the authentication system.

These taxpayers are not able to file online as the number involved would make it disproportionately costly to develop the necessary forms and links to HMRC computer systems.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.