Crime: British Overseas Territories

Home Department written question – answered on 26th June 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Fiona Mactaggart Fiona Mactaggart Labour, Slough

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether (a) she and (b) her officials have had discussions with UK police forces on assessing and responding to drug crime and violent crime in the overseas territories; and if she will make a statement.

Photo of Nick Herbert Nick Herbert The Minister for Policing and Criminal Justice, The Minister for Policing and Criminal Justice

holding answer 2 June 2012

Much of the Home Office assistance to the Overseas Territories (OTs) is based on requests from them. The Home Office has not been involved in discussions with UK police forces specifically on assessing or responding to drug and violent crime in Overseas Territories (OTs) and does not commission such assistance. The Home Office has, however, authorised overseas deployments by serving police officers (under s.26 of the Police Act 1996) in response to various ad hoc requests by OTs for assistance. Annex A of The Overseas Territories and the Home Office paper provides a list of examples of such support provided during 2010 and 2011. The Government will shortly publish a White Paper entitled “The Overseas Territories—Security, Success and Sustainability” and this covers UK assistance of and partnership with the OTs, including in relation to crime.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.