Refugee Camps

House of Lords written question – answered on 20th June 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Hylton Lord Hylton Crossbench

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether and in what ways they are supporting vocational training and tertiary education for refugees living in camps throughout the world, pending their eventual resettlement.

Photo of Baroness Northover Baroness Northover Baroness in Waiting (HM Household) (Whip), Lords Spokesperson (Department for International Development)

The UK supports the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), which has recently developed a new education strategy for refugee children and adolescents. This focuses on providing access to quality education including secondary education and vocational training. Between 2012 and 2016 UNHCR and its partners will double the number of students attending tertiary education.

The UK also supports the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), who provide a range of services, including vocational training and tertiary education, for Palestinian refugees in UNRWA camps.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.