British Citizenship

House of Lords written question – answered on 11 June 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Ashcroft Lord Ashcroft Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government what is the process by which a United Kingdom citizen may renounce citizenship.

Photo of Lord Henley Lord Henley The Minister of State, Home Department

A British citizen, of full age and full capacity, may make a declaration of renunciation of citizenship under Section 12 of the British Nationality Act 1981.

Applications should be made using Form RN1. The current fee for such an application is £229.

Further guidance can be found at Chapter 19 of the Nationality Instructions, a copy of which I will place in the Library and which is available on the UK Border Agency website at uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/nationalityinstructions/nichapter19/.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.