Special Educational Needs

Education written question – answered on 19th April 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Helen Jones Helen Jones Shadow Minister (Communities and Local Government)

To ask the Secretary of State for Education what guidance his Department provides to local authorities which wish to improve their special needs provision.

Photo of Sarah Teather Sarah Teather The Minister of State, Department for Education

holding answer 18 April 2012

Local authorities are in the best position themselves to decide how to improve the special educational needs (SEN) provision in their local areas, consulting their local authority peers, schools and other agencies, such as local health providers. The SEN and disability Green Paper, “Support and aspiration: A new approach to special educational needs and disability”, said that the Government would encourage greater collaboration between local areas to improve services for disabled children and those with SEN. Six of the 20 pathfinders set up following the Green Paper cover two or more local authority areas.

There is statutory guidance available to local authorities in the form of the SEN Code of Practice and “Inclusive Schooling: Children with Special Educational Needs”. Non-statutory guidance on "Planning and Developing Special Educational Provision" is also available from the Department.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.